Building your dream house is an exciting new chapter in your life, but it can also feel very intimidating. We’ve laid out our process in a way that will hopefully make it a little less overwhelming, and Tobin Construction will be with you every step of the way.
- Your family is unique and special. Let’s discuss your specific needs and wants and formulate a plan to get there!
- Tour our quality homes so you can see first hand the benefits of building with Tobin Construction.
- Discuss financing options.
- Meet at your home site or let us help you find a home site that fits your needs.
- Discuss how your plan and vision will work on the home site. Not all home sites are created equal.
- Meet with our designer and look at our portfolio of beautiful homes together.
- Choose an overlay and define changes to be made to the design
Design your own custom home.
Week 3 - 4
Finalize your home design!
- Make any final modifications.
- Discuss construction specifications and formalize a quote for the home.
- Review the quote and discuss any changes before signing the agreement. *Deposit at time of signing
This next one sounds boring but don’t worry, we love this stuff and we’ll take care of it for you!
- Send your plans to the engineer to be sealed. This normally takes a week. Depending on the size and intricacy of the home it may take up to two – three weeks
- Get a preliminary plot plan that shows the location of your home on your home site.
- Send your plans and specifications to the Architectural Review Board to be approved, if required.
- Apply for permit. Permit turnaround time varies upon each jurisdiction. In some areas the permit turnaround is relatively quick (2 weeks). In other jurisdictions the permit can take up to sixty days.
Week 6 - 10
The fun stuff!
- Select your exterior colors, Kitchen cabinets, counters, flooring, tile, paint, lighting and plumbing. We work with an experienced team of professionals and designers to collaborate, and make the process seamless!
Week 11 - 12
Lay the foundation for your new home!
*Basement home sites add an additional two weeks to the schedule
Week 13 - 15
It’s on its way!
- Framing, roof, set windows
- Electrical walk through
- Landscape design plan if applicable
Week 16 - 19
- Plumbing, HVAC and Electrical
- Framing and mechanical inspections
- Quality assurance walkthrough with the builder
- Make any necessary adjustments before installing sheetrock
Week 20 - 22
The nuts and bolts (literally AND figuratively)
- Finish Carpentry and install interior trim and doors
- Closet design and installation
- Install kitchen cabinets
- Discuss a closing date so you can lock in your rate with the lender.
- Schedule a date and time with the attorney’s office for closing. Tobin Construction has a preferred attorney or we can use yours.
Week 23 - 26
- Install hardwoods, tile, plumbing, electrical and HVAC fixtures.
- Landscaping and irrigation
- Quality control inspection by Tobin Construction Co.
Week 27 - 28
- New owner orientation
- Discuss our one year warranty
Drum roll please…